This webinar on August 20, 2020 was an interview and live Q&A with experts who will provide immigration guidance and advice for students who aspire to study in the United States.
- What is the general immigration process for international students attending US universities?
- How can international students best prepare to be more successful during the process?
- What has changed due to COVID?
- Steve Springer, NAFSA: Association of International Educators, Director of Regulatory Practice Liaison
- Adam Julian, Director, International Student And Scholar Services, University of Maryland-Baltimore County
Helpful links provided by Steve Springer:
- 10 points to remember when applying for a visa: https://www.nafsa.org/professional-resources/browse-by-interest/10-points-remember-when-applying-student-visa
- NAFSA Resource on Fall 2020 COVID-19 Guidance for F-1 Schools: https://www.nafsa.org/regulatory-information/nafsa-resource-fall-2020-covid-19-guidance-f-1-schools
- Department of State information on U.S. visas: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas.html
- Department of State information on F, J, and M visas: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study.html
- Department of State information on visa wait times: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html
- Links to each Department of State consulate: https://www.usembassy.gov/
- Study in the States (Student & Exchange Visitor) web site: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/
This webinar is the second in EdAgree’s Global Education Series. To view the first webinar: US-Bound International Undergraduates: COVID-19, Policy, Uncertainty – Q&A Webinar click here.
More about the speakers:
Steve Springer, NAFSA: Association of International Educators, Director of Regulatory Practice Liaison
Before joining the NAFSA staff in 2010, where Steve manages NAFSA’s engagement with federal agencies concerning regulatory practice issues, he worked as an immigration attorney and managed international student and scholar programs for several major research universities.
Adam Julian, Director, International Student And Scholar Services, University of Maryland-Baltimore County
Prior to Adam’s role at UMBC, he served as director of international student and scholar services and outreach at Appalachian State University from 2015 to 2020. Adam is the chair of NAFSA’s International Student and Scholar Regulatory Practice (ISS RP) Committee through 2021. He has served as a member of ISS RP since 2016 including as chair of ISS RP’s travel subcommittee in 2017 and 2018.